Monday, March 14, 2011

I Was Wrong To Lose My Cool, Admits England Spinner Graeme Swann

Graeme Swann admitted he was wrong swearing during England's World Cup defeat against Bangladesh, but still believes he should not have been fined by the International Cricket Council.

Off-spinner, whose outbreak was motivated by his frustration at not being able to grab a ball soaked with dew, immediately apologized to the judge Daryl Harper to use foul language.

He was fined 10 percent of his match fee for the event - but insists that the day-night match should never have happened if it was inevitable that it would do the dew and employment Other spinners impossible.

"I was wrong to swear and lose my temper during England's defeat against Bangladesh and I apologised straightaway to umpire Daryl Harper," he said in his column in today's Sun.

"But I think it was ludicrous to play a day-night match in the World Cup that was so heavily influenced by the dew.

"The ball was so wet it was like trying to bowl with a bar of soap. It felt like playing football with both hands tied behind my back."

Even so, Swann regrets that his frustration boiled over. He added: "To be caught swearing by the stump mic was very disappointing.

"I don't condone bad language on the field, especially if it is directed near the umpire."

As for his punishment, he added: "I shouldn't be fined at all. When you have venues where the dew is heavy, day-night cricket shouldn't be played there."

England captain Andrew Strauss agreed. "It seems slightly strange to have the first ever day-nighter at a certain ground in a World Cup," he said. "There was a 20-over period when the dew was very, very bad."

England will now almost certainly have to beat West Indies on Thursday in their final Group B match if they are to qualify for the quarter-finals.

COMMENTS :

Don't Spam Here

0 comments to “I Was Wrong To Lose My Cool, Admits England Spinner Graeme Swann”

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009. All Rights Reserved.